UGIC MAP, APP, and POSTER GALLERY AND COMPETITION
We know you’ve got skills, and NOW is your chance show them off at the UGIC Map, App, and poster gallery and competition.
Haven’t Registered for UGIC yet? No problem. Take care of that little detail on our REGISTRATION (Coming early 2024) page
UGIC would like to invite YOU to enter this year’s map, app, and poster gallery and competition. Many of us do what we do because we love maps and this is your opportunity to show off your hard work to the greater Utah geospatial community! There will be cash awards in the student categories.
- MAP AS ART – Utah is beautiful. Show us your real cartography skills. No limits.
- PROFESSIONAL MAP – This category hosts the best of the best where professionals show us what hey have put together over the past year.
- STUDENT RESEARCH POSTERS – Not to be confused with a map, POSTERS depict research, methodologies, processes, and efforts generally undertaken via scholastic activities. Putting your best foot forward is important when explaining your research. Posters should clearly present the topic at hand, be readable (visible) from a short distance, and include maps and graphics (of course).
- INTERACTIVE MAP – Exactly as it states. This MAP should be online, or otherwise digital, and should present information in a unique, clear, and engaging way. If you are submitting an interactive map, you need to provide a single 8.5″ x 11″ paper that contains your name, a title and description of your interactive creation, and a simple URL code (use bit.ly, or similar to create a simple URL – or a scannable QR code will work).
- BEST OVERALL MAP – By simply entering a MAP or POSTER category, you are competing for the BEST. Keep that in mind!
- THE STAN McSHINSKY AWARD – The man behind the legend, Stan McShinsky, has a category that is worthy only of his namesake. If you think you have what it takes, the creativity, the countless hours, the endurance to create a unique mapping work of art – bring it on. You don’t enter this category, this category finds you.
– WHEN, WHERE, & HOW –
Bring your hard copy maps and posters to the conference and submit them at the conference registration desk on Wednesday. If the map or poster is larger than 24” x 36” then you must provide your own foam core board or other mounting material. Online maps/apps: Bring an 8.5 x 11” or 11 x 17″ sheet with a screenshot and short description, including the URL and a QR code. See example. Note: there are websites that will convert a URL to a QR code for free.