Job Title: GIS Systems Analyst
Opening Date/Time: October 12, 2018
Closing Date/Time: November 12, 2018
Salary: Grade 511 Step A – G $2,121.79 – $2,437.58 Biweekly
Job Type: Full Time
Number of Openings:1
Under general supervision of the GIS Manager, independently complete mapping projects; generate, maintain and provide quality control of complex data to be stored in Utah County Government’s geographic information system (GIS); and design, develop, maintain and/or program GIS applications. This position may be assigned to provide general or specific GIS support for a county department, function or project.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Design, create, implement, manage, maintain, and document Geographical Information Systems and data using ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Enterprise Server, ESRI Enterprise Geodatabases, Oracle, and other software that support and enhance Utah County business functions and inform the public.
2. Design and produce maps and other graphic products using GIS, CAD and other programs for county personnel, local, state, and federal agencies and the public.
3. Perform high-level spatial analysis of geographic data sets to respond to requests from county departments, local, state, and federal agencies and the public.
5. Perform highly responsible technical work in systems design and implementation.
6. Perform high-level technical review of geographic information, GIS and 3rd party software to determine accuracy and usability.
7. Provide technical assistance to county departments, other government agencies, and the public in implementing GIS projects including training county employees in GIS procedures and software.
8. Capture data in the field using global positioning system equipment and other means.
9. Prepare confidential information used by the county including use in civil and criminal litigation.
10. Prepare conference reports and make technical presentations.
11. Assist the GIS Manager in other support operations of a multi-department GIS enterprise.
12. Assist the GIS Manager in establishing long-range direction for GIS in County.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Enterprise Server and other related GIS products
- Knowledge of civil engineering, public safety 911 systems, cartography, cartographic principles, and surveying techniques
- Knowledge of project and employee leadership techniques
- Skilled in advanced reading, writing, and math
- Ability to maintain cooperative relationships with those contracted in the course of work activities
- Ability to create detailed maps
- Ability to clearly explain technical information orally and in writing
This position has no direct supervisory responsibility but does serve as a coach and mentor for other
positions in the department.
This job operates in a professional office environment but is also performed for sustained periods outdoors and occasionally in hot, cold, or inclement weather. This position exposes incumbent to possible bodily injury when conducting field work. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as a laptop, desktop, smart phone, photocopiers, shredders, and filing cabinets. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to use manual dexterity to handle, feel, and operate objects, tools and controls, and reach with hands and arms. This employee is frequently required to sit for long periods of time, stand, talk, and hear. Specific vision abilities by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. The employee is required to type, file and lift office supplies up to 30 pounds.
Position Type/ Expected Hours of Work
Incumbent must work 40 hours each week to maintain full-time status. There is availability to work out a flex schedule ahead of time that works for both the County and the employee. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
This position requires up to 5 percent travel.
Required Education and Experience
1. Bachelor’s degree in GIS, Geography, or a closely related field.
3. Equivalent combinations of education and experience that include one (1) year of work experience in GIS application may also be considered.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
1. Applicants must possess a valid driver’s license and obtain a valid State of Utah driver’s license within 60 days of employment
2. Selected applicant may be subject to, and must pass, a background check
It is the policy of Utah County Government to assure equal employment opportunity to its employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, genetic status or gender identity.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee of this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time.
Utah County Government is a drug-free workplace.