The following recruitment is open to the public. This is a full time, benefited position.
Job Title: Public GIS Specialist
Recruitment # 21057
Hiring Official: Christopher Merritt
Location: 300 S Rio Grande Street, Salt Lake City, Utah
Open date: August 22, 2019
Close date: September 1, 2019
To be considered for this position, please apply online at http://statejobs.utah.gov/jobseeker/ and search for the job posting by either job title or agency. You may also click on the link below.
As the Public GIS Specialist you will typically:
- Maintain, edit, and create geospatial databases on a variety of topics.
- Create map graphics for posters, flyers, web documents using ArcGIS and other software packages.
- Complete online and historical research in support of a project.
- Develop and execute online or in-person workshops to expose more groups and individuals to history and archaeology and GIS.
- Continue to expand knowledge and skill set to leverage new and innovative geospatial techniques to educate the public on history and archaeology related topics.
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of historic buildings GIS data.
The ideal person for this position will possess:
- Extensive knowledge of Geographic Information Systems, geospatial databases, and online mapping platforms.
- Skills in Python or other related scripting language is a bonus.
- Experience with relational database management.
- Good verbal, writing, customer service and communication skills
- Ability to work in a flexible team environment
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize time and workload in order to accomplish tasks and meet deadlines.
- Competency in Microsoft Office, Adobe, and social networking. Ability to learn new software such as Geocortex Essentials.
Preference will be give to those with an Undergraduate or Graduate Degree or certificate in Geographic Information Systems.
Why You Should Join Our Team
We offer a rich benefits package with 11 paid holidays per year. Annual leave starting at 4 hours per pay period and increasing over time. In addition, 4 hours of sick leave per pay period as well as medical, dental, vision, life insurance Eco-pass for UTA allowing free travel on Bus, Trax, and FrontRunner along with many other employee incentives and bonuses. Please click HERE to be taken to a page where you may explore all of those possibilities, including a benefits calculator where you can see an actual dollar comparison.