The GIS Technician works under the supervision of the GIS Manager. This position performs technical GIS functions including but not limited to, editing and maintaining data layers, generating maps, data collection, and performing data analyses.
- Edits and maintains existing datasets in an enterprise geodatabase.
- Creates features and verifies legal descriptions using coordinate geometry.
- Generates maps for internal and external customers.
- Collects data using Trimble mapping grade GPS unit.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Current college student or graduate with a major in GIS, Geography, Engineering, Computer Science, Planning, or related field. Must have working knowledge of Esri’s GIS software: ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro. Familiarity with Trimble mapping grade GPS unit is preferred. Must possess a valid Utah Driver License. Candidate must be able to pass criminal background check and pre-employment drug screen.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Understands relational database design concepts and schema.
- Proficient in cartography and map design, including coordinate systems, projections, and map scales.
- Consistent capacity to pay attention to detail and organization.
- Ability to research and solve problems with a systematic and analytic approach.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with others.
- Must have excellent customer service skills.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Part-time 20 hours per week.
$15.70 – $16.17
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds. Position requires working outdoors and physical demands may occur in activities related to exposure, walking, standing, stooping, sitting, reaching, etc. Talking, hearing and seeing required in the daily performance of job duties. Mental application utilizes memory for details, emotional stability and discriminating thinking and creative problem solving.
The City of Draper is an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability, genetic information, sex or age.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major responsibilities and duties performed on the job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job-related duties and responsibilities that an employee may perform. An employee in this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties required by their supervisor. This job description is not intended to and does not infer or create any employment, compensation, or contract rights to any person or persons. This updated job description supersedes prior descriptions for the same position. Management reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.