UGIC is supporting the efforts of the Utah Mapping Emergency Technical Team (UMETT). UMETT is a partnership of government and private geospatial professionals with a mission of providing cross-jurisdictional professional mapping services and data in support of decision-making during emergency response and mitigation in Utah.
The goals of UMETT are:
- Discuss and share best practices and lessons learned from using GIS during a disaster response
- Define essential datasets and other geospatial tools and products to be used to support emergency or disaster response
- Establish systems and procedures, adhering to best practices, to effectively share data and maps
- Collaborate with emergency managers and other responders to promote understanding of their information needs and educate them on the capabilities GIS professionals can provide
- Identify appropriate training for GIS professionals to obtain skills to better support an emergency
- Coordinate and share critical geographic information during an emergency or disaster response according to established procedures
- Utilize training and procedures to establish a volunteer group that can assist other jurisdictions in Utah during an emergency
If you would like to join the Utah Mapping Emergency Technical Team contact Kate Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or (801) 381-3558.